We have established community trustee boards as one way to engage with local communities on the future of our iconic parks. The boards operate for Callan Park, Centennial Parklands (incorporating Moore Park and Queens Park), Fernhill Estate, Parramatta Park (incorporating Wistaria Gardens) and Western Sydney Parklands.
The community trustee boards play a key advisory role. They represent a broad range of community interests and local perspectives on park stewardship, activities and usage. They also advise on environmental, heritage and cultural issues. We consider the views of the community trustee boards in our decision-making and the boards have a direct impact on how our parks operate.
Community trustee board members
Community members can nominate for a community trustee board. Members are selected by a panel and appointed by the relevant minister.
A community trustee board member holds office for no more than 5 years. Members have been appointed for 2 years in the first instance.
Board meeting agendas and summary reports
Community trustee boards meet at least 4 times per year.
To ensure transparency, all members of the community have access to meeting agendas and summary reports for community trustee board meetings.
We will publish the meeting agenda for each community trustee board at least 7 days before the meeting. The summary report will be published at least 1 week after the meeting.
Community trustee board meetings
The first round of meetings for 2024 will be held on the following dates:
- Callan Park - 4 March 2024
- Centennial Park and Moore Park - 7 February 2024
- Fernhill Estate - 5 March 2024
- Parramatta Park - 19 March 2024
- Western Sydney Parklands - 12 March 2024
The establishment and operation of each community trustee board is supported by terms of reference and a code of conduct. You can download these below.
- Callan Park terms of reference (PDF, 167 KB)
- Centennial Park and Moore Park terms of reference (PDF, 202 KB)
- Fernhill Estate terms of reference (PDF, 163 KB)
- Parramatta Park terms of reference (PDF, 200 KB)
- Western Sydney Parklands terms of reference (PDF, 187 KB)
- Community trustee boards code of conduct (PDF, 242 KB)
Each community trustee board will:
- include a member nominated by each relevant local council
- be representative of community diversity, including in relation to gender, age and cultural background
- be reflective of the broad range of views and interests of the community and the people who use the relevant parkland
- include representation for local First Nations peoples
- include a representative who has experience or skills in heritage or heritage management.
Community trustee board members will:
- have knowledge of their parkland and the activities carried out there
- be able to communicate effectively with local residents, local community groups and other people who use the park.
To find out more about the approach for establishing and operating the community trustee boards, and what’s required of members, see the approved Consultation and Engagement Framework or the GSP engagement FAQ
- Community trustee board members are asked to provide informed advice on the relevant parklands.
- Members will be appointed for an initial 2-year period and will be required to attend at least 4 meetings per year.
- We want to hear about the experiences and perspectives of a diverse range of members of your community.
- You’ll be expected to contribute in a way that values the contribution of others.
- You’ll need to declare any conflicts of interest and act in accordance with the board’s terms of reference and code of conduct.
- Members have a duty to protect confidential and private information.
- If another community trustee board member is not acting ethically, you should notify the Chair and/or Greater Sydney Parklands.
If you are passionate about Sydney's iconic parklands, a clear communicator and/or have demonstrated skills and experience running meetings, consider nominating for a community trustee board. Details will be made available here when the next round of nominations is open.